Author Topic: How does 4 inch dryer exhaust duct fit in a 2x4 framed wall?  (Read 4711 times)

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
How does 4 inch dryer exhaust duct fit in a 2x4 framed wall?
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
What are the benefits of firring out a 2x4 wall when using a Dryerbox?
Can a Dryerbox be installed in a 2x4 wall?  
Why do you recommend the model 425 or 480 Dryerbox over the 2x4 version?

Questions we field from phone inquiries.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How does 4 inch dryer exhaust duct fit in a 2x4 framed w
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
In most homes, old and new, the wall behind the washer, dryer and laundry tub is referred to as the “Mechanical Wall” as it generally contains the primary waste stack, the initial plumbing manifold and the 4” dryer duct.  Because of all these “mechanicals”, this wall is typically thicker and achieved by being framed with 2x6 studs or furring strips added to a 2x4 wall. 

A nominal 2x4 measures 3.5 inches: a dryer duct measures 4.08 inches and if it has any fittings, measures 4.25” and has no ability to deform.  A 4 inch plumbing stack with the required cleanout requires 5.25 inches of stud depth. 
If you add one furring strip (a 1x2) to the front or rear face of the respective wall, you will be able to use our deeper and generally preferred models 425 or 480 Dryerbox.  These boxes exhibit an almost round port for the duct to penetrate into the receptacle.  The 350 Dryerbox model exhibits a more restrictive oval hole as the 4” round pipe is deformed to fit into a 3.25 inch deep hole. 

When possible, we recommend the 425 or 480 models due to their inherent energy saving aspects.  The Model 480 is becoming popular as it offers the builder the freedom to use a dryer that is or is not on a pedestal and the unit can also be mounted in an up or downward direction.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:43:54 AM by rickharp »
Rick Harpenau
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

conleec

• View Profile
Re: How does 4 inch dryer exhaust duct fit in a 2x4 framed wall?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
Okay, so the follow-on question is this: if my wall is an interior wall, framed with 2x4s, and I want to use a DryBox, who do I cut an oval hole thru the ceiling? I'm a novice, so I'm trying to figure out if I open my wall and install this device, how do I complete the installation thru to the attic? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris Conlee

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How does 4 inch dryer exhaust duct fit in a 2x4 framed wall?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:12:27 AM »
Chris, my method of cutting an oval hole in the top plate of a 2x4 would be to drill some large holes in the top plate and take a sawsall to cut out roughly a rectangle of the plate so the pipe can be pushed down the hole, then I'd foam the corners of the hole we just made when the job was complete. 

I did this type of retro fit for a neighbor and would be happy to describe in a phone call if that helps.  Good luck, Rick

Rick Harpenau
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696