Author Topic: Hurricane resistant vent design  (Read 5325 times)

Rick A

Hurricane resistant vent design
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »
I've read on the State of Florida Emergency Preparedness web site that roof vents can become locations where wind-driven water can enter buildings during a hurricane.  While this applies to all types of roof vents such as peak vents, and powered ventilation hoods, it also is relevant to dryer vents.  Until reviewing the You-Tube videos on your company's website, I expected to modify the vent for my dryer to use an eve vent.  The only practical means I know of to reduce water intrusion in a high wind condition is to fabricate a cover for the opening on a gooseneck vent that can be secured quickly just before the storm.  Are there any codes that address this need?  Are there any products that can survive a hurricane that are water intrustion resistant?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:56:34 AM by rickharp »

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Hurricane resistant vent design
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
Rick, good post, and thanks. 
I agree, the best option is to install some sort of "block" or cover that would act as a primary blockage to wind driven water.  The Dryerjack Zero has an opening about 6" x 4".  If there was enough call for it, we could create a metal cover that would hook on the hem and be supported by the PacMan mouth area, but you are the first to inquire about this.  A workaround would be to cut a piece of plywood or metal that would fill or block that opening, maybe securing it with a sheet metal screw.  And then create some sort of reminder tag that you would place over the control knob on the dryer that would prevent a user from turning it on until the "cover" was removed. 

There are no codes that address water intrusion from roof vents.  I will try some wind testing on the zero soon to see if and how wind could lift the damper.  I feel if the damper would stay closed, water intrusion from wind driven would be minimal enough to not cause siginificant damage. 

Keep me posted on any other findings.  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:56:42 AM by rickharp »
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696