Author Topic: How to support vertical duct?  (Read 1991 times)

NJ Dave

• View Profile
How to support vertical duct?
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
Hi all,

I'm very happy to find this forum. I'm a homeowner who's decided to tackle our dryer duct myself... after a contractor managed to botch the job, then recommended returning to the Mylar flex hose when things went south. :-\ I intend to follow the recommendations I've found here and elsewhere concerning what types of duct to use (and not), foil tape on the junctions, etc., but I have one question I haven't found addressed here or anywhere else.

Our dryer is in an unfinished area of the basement. We have a closed horizontal metal duct which runs along the basement ceiling to the exterior vent, which is fine and which I don't want to mess with. I need to get from the dryer exhaust near the floor, up along the basement wall to the ceiling duct. I know I should use a solid length of 4" duct for the vertical run, and I intend to use elbows (or Dryer-Ell) and/or semi-rigid 4" duct for the connections between the dryer and the vertical run, and between the vertical run and the horizontal ceiling duct. My question is, how do I support the vertical run? Obviously I don't want to put a screw through the duct, and I don't think a strap will work since it will just slide along the exterior. I don't want to depend on the junction at the top to support the weight of the duct. Perhaps I could attach a strap or a cleat or something to the exterior with heatproof glue, which I could then attach to the wall? Any recommendations? Thanks!

NJ Dave

• View Profile
Re: How to support vertical duct?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »
Sorry -- it finally dawned on me that this forum is only (or mainly) for contractors to trade tips. Anyway, we solved the problem by buying a ventless dryer. Wave of the future.

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:36:13 AM »
NJ, I am anxious to hear more about your ventless dryer... brand, cost, etc, and how it drained or disposed of the water it produces.  Please pass along to the group when you have time. 

sorry it took so long for me to reply. 
The preferred or typical way round rigid pipe is supported from sliding down is: metal strapping is generally wrapped around most of the pipe or wrapped all the way around the pipe and the ears of the strapping are mechanically attached to a wall or stud.  Silver tape is then applied to the strap/pipe area, which produces a significant restraint to the pipe sliding or moving within the strapping.  Hope this helps you or others.  Thanks for using the forum. 
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

NJ Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
I just happened by here as I wanted to delete my unused passwords, and finally saw the response. Thanks!

The ventless dryer we purchased was a Whirpool WED99HEDW -- now discontinued, though Whirlpool has at least one similar model which has replaced it. We paid about $950, offset by a $300 energy efficiency rebate from the state. The dryer ingeniously uses a heat pump to recirculate the same air through the clothes for the entire cycle. The water is pumped out through a hose that empties into our laundry sink. It takes quite a bit longer to dry a load unless we use the auxiliary heater, and even then it's much more efficient than a standard dryer.

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 06:39:42 AM »
Thanks for passing this along. 
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696