Author Topic: Sealing Gooseneck Roof Vent with no Mounting Collar  (Read 241 times)

tvmarco

• View Profile
Sealing Gooseneck Roof Vent with no Mounting Collar
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
Hello!

Hopefully you will not mind this amateur question: I recently had my roof replaced and the contractor replaced all of my vent terminations but did not go to the trouble of making sure that the vent actually extended into the new termination.  The new unit has no collar coming down from it and is simply an open hole that ends in a goose neck style vent to the roof.

While I can certainly add to the vent pipe itself to ensure that it extends up into the roof vent, I don't know how to seal the connection.  My first attempt had the pipe going about two inches into the unit but since it is not actually sealed up it is almost pointless.

Hopefully I am explaining myself well enough.  I know the obvious solution is to get a better model vent termination with the collar that comes down from it but I would rather not tear into the new roof myself.

Thanks in advance!

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Sealing Gooseneck Roof Vent with no Mounting Collar
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
This practice is common, unfortunately.  If this was my predicament, and the vent was large enough to "force feed" the vent a couple inches up into the throat, then I'd be ok with this.  To keep the air from back flowing into my attic I would consider using an expandable foam product like Great Stuff, but being careful not to put too much in there, further diminishing the area of air flow. 

Others may have other input but having to put in a new vent may be more of an issue, considering the water tight install the roofer did originally.  Thanks for asking.
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696