Dryer vent needs HELP

Dryer venting

Author Topic: Dryer vent needs HELP  (Read 6641 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Dryer vent needs HELP
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »
I just bought a house and the Dryer Vent is all sorts of ready to catch fire. 
1) It goes through the floor and is made of CPVC Not sure if that is a problem but I've never heard of it before
2) It goes in the opening between the floor joists to the foundation and then flex how is attached and it goes up to where the dryer outlet is. 
3) The crawl space where the CPVC and flex hose meet is covered in Lint.  and it is poorly taped together.

My question is Can I run a rigid metal pip through the floor to a 90 run a pipe under the joist than a 90 up and another 90 to turn the pipe so i'm going in the joist opening straight to the Vent Exit? Or is that too many Bends I'm going a total of maybe 8 feet.   I was also wondering if maybe one of those close fit 90 can be used horizontally or one of those periscope pipes or would i connect too much lint.  just wnat to get it fixed so i can use my dryer.  Any help would be appreciated. 


  • Administrator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 158
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Dryer vent needs HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
Great Question...
Building codes are very clear that concealed dryer duct runs must be in rigid metal pipe (attic, walls, crawlspace). 
Periscopes and Close Ells are very inefficient and should be used on a need to basis.  8 foot run is not that long at all, but the turns are adding a lot of friction.  I'd suggest using the Long Turn 90 Ell or LT90 part from the dryerbox store. That ell exhibits friction loss equal to straight pipe.  I am not a fan of the "dip" that will be the result of going down and then back up to the vent hood, as it could be a "trap" for water accumulation from condensation.  Perhaps a couple 1/4" holes in the bottom of the lower pipe run would keep it from puddleing. 

I am a fan of DryerFlex for the transition hose between the dryer and the wall outlet. 
I am also a fan of the DryerEll, although a bit expensive. 
And make sure your wall flapper is not the older legacy hooded vent as these were very restrictive. 


Hope this helps.  Feel free to call me.  Thanks

In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477