Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Difference in the Models 425 and the 350  (Read 3818 times)

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Difference in the Models 425 and the 350
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:31:12 PM »

Let’s talk about the depth; 425 stands for 4.25 inches deep, measured from the nailing flange to the back plane of the receptacle, and likewise for the 350, 3.5” deep. 

Snaplock or rigid 4” metal pipe exhibits an interior dimension of 4”.  When the pipe is deformed to fit into a 2x4 framed wall, the resulting shape removes about 6% of the available area from its round shape.  Less area creates more back pressure, and slows the drying process.  By adding a firring strip or 1x2 board to the face of each stud, effectively widening the stud to 4.25” of depth, allows the pipe to remain in its round shape and also is sufficient depth for our more popular Model 425 Dryerbox to be installed. 

The argument arises, that if I am using a Dryerbox to gain space in the laundry room, why would I take away .75” by adding a firring strip.  For some it may be obvious but it’s the back of the Dryerbox that determines how far back you can push the dryer.  So, since the back is the same with either receptacle, then the dryer’s position in the room remains the same, and the wall is the only thing that moves. 

For me, without question, I prefer the round hole (Model 425).  It’s more efficient and safer.   Now the downward venting models of Dryerbox’s both exhibit round holes, so it is not necessary to fir the wall out if you are venting down. 

This link shows a helpful graphic of the calculated area in the two Dryerbox’s

www.dryerbox.com/images/clips/compare_openings_round.jpg

This link is helpful in showing the dimensions and shapes of the two units:

www.dryerbox.com/convertions/pdfs/Tech_Product_Specs.pdf

Hope this helps, and happy venting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:39:15 AM by rickharp »
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Difference in the Models 425 and the 350
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »

Recently introduced from the Dryerbox people is the new Model 480 Dryerbox.  With the recent popularity of front loader laundry appliances, the addition of a pedestal or stand to increase the height has created perhaps an unknown for the builder in regards to where the Dryerbox will be installed. 

Our response; a 65% larger, more versatile design.   The new model 480 Dryerbox accommodates dryers that are on a pedestal or not and… can be mounted in any direction resulting in a universal receptacle (one size fits all theory). 
Wide enough to fit comfortably in 16 inch on center stud spacing and 4.25 inches deep to fit in 2 x 4 walls that have been firred out with one 1 x 2. 
Previously, in order to service a downward exhaust direction, our “down” box was necessary.  The new 480 accommodates both mounting directions. 
Installs in 2X6 (or 2X4 walls with furring strip) for venting up or down with a larger receiving area to accommodate pedestal and stand-alone dryers.

This YouTube Video of the Model 480 Dryerbox has an animation that clearly shows the advantages of the new box. 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqemwAu6i0

The link to the online store to read more or to purchase a Model 480 Dryerbox.  It will ship out of KY or FL. 
store.dryerbox.com/Model-480-Dryerbox--2x6-wall--universal-design_p_91.html

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:42:59 AM by rickharp »
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696