Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Square Pipe 4"wide by 3.25 deep  (Read 6740 times)

keith

• View Profile
Square Pipe 4"wide by 3.25 deep
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

My dryer is not venting well.  I discovered if I pulled it away from the wall and "unkinked" the hose it worked fine.  So I am looking into the dryerbox as a solution.

I cut the drywall to look at what I had.  There is a rectangular 4x3.25 pipe going up through the ceiling and into the attic.  There is a 4" diameter pipe the juts out of this rectangular pipe at a 90 degree angle.  This is the pipe I attach the dryer venting hose to. 

How can I convert this system to something like the dryer vent box where the hose connects in-line with the pipe?  Or is it even a worthwhile to attempt it.

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Square Pipe 4"wide by 3.25 deep
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »

Great Question and we do appreciate you asking it here in the forum. 
In the past, it was common to hear of gutter downspout pipe being used in a 2x4 wall, to vent the dryer.  But now a days we do not hear that much.  Also, it was common to find a 3x10 rectangle pipe with the same connection of round to rectangle that you explained.  Both of these are very inefficient and usually leave a "pocket" for the lint to fall down into at the bottom. 

If one of the reasons for going through a retro install of a dryerbox is to move both appliances back maybe 5 inches, or to make the dryer run more efficiently, or both, then it is worth the effort if some of the conditions are right. 

The scenario number 10 of 16 at the bottom of this page: https://dryerbox.com/dryerbox-installation-pictures.htm is of a 2x4 wall that had no vent pipe, but had 4-6 feet of working room height in the attic just above so we were able to first confirm there were no obstructions, then cut the top plate out, and send 5 foot sections of round pipe down the wall.  Yes, 4 inch pipe fits and works, it’s just deformed a bit to oval.  The person at the bottom reached up through the dryerbox and steered the hard pipe into the dryerbox port.  It was amazingly quite easy with two of us and room in the attic.  We then installed a DryerJack (roof vent) www.dryerjack.com and the homeowners were very happy. 

Make sure you look at that link above, and any other similar retro installs on that page.  I'd also very much like to get your before, during and after pictures of the install if you elect to tackle it.  I will be happy to discuss this further on the phone if you have more concerns.  Thanks and good luck. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:58:46 AM by rickharp »
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

Keith, did you ever come up with a solution for your install?  I am in the same boat with 3x4 inch ducts in my wall.   It looks to be strapped to the studs, so removal seems difficult.   I am going to check on the price of getting a custom round to square transition built at a local duct shop.  In the attic, strangely enough, it transitions at the top plate to 4" round pipe.   

mcleodbf1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »

Did anyone find a solution to this.  I am torn.  Bought a dryer box.  Love the idea but see no way to get it one without big issues.  My 90 broke at wall so I must do something.  Would appreciate any suggestions.  Was considering to cut hole in dryer box to match the rectangle but even that seems challenging.

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »

if your "90" broke, then one may assume the 90 was a 4" round 90, assuming there was round pipe protruding from the wall. 
if that is the case, then there may be a conversion fitting above it to convert from rectangle to round.  use that fitting further up in the wall, assuming the wall is greater than 4 inches of space.  Use a short piece of round duct to penetrate the top port of the Dryerbox. 
Take pictures if you can and post them here for others and my staff to learn from.  Thanks.
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696