Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Efficiency and insulation in ducting my dryer  (Read 3000 times)

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Efficiency and insulation in ducting my dryer
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »

Sent in via email...

Rick - Let me start by saying that as an engineer I"m so impressed with your products!

My wife wants me to install an upper floor laundry in a linen closet.  I am planning on stacking two Samsung front loading machines on top of each other (not a single stacked unit).   This will be a gas dryer.  I'll be moving the back wall, so I can use 2x4 (preferred) or 2x6 construction, venting upwards. 

I live in Iowa, so it gets cold in the attic, which I think is my only option.  I can vent out a side wall, using one of your cool aluminum vents.  There is some chance of using a eave vent, but I don't think that will work as well.

I'm expecting to enter the attic vertically, then use one of your Dryer-Ells to go horizontal, then direct to a wall mounted vent.  I think I can keep the run to about 12 feet.

Here are my questions:
1)  Does the 2x4 box restrict airflow due to the oval squeeze?  I bet not?
2)  What is the best method for attaching your Premium vent to a vinyl sided house?    I kind of think just cut out a circle and bond it on to the siding at the top.
3)  Do you have a recommendation (or sell) insulating material to wrap the ducts in?
4)  Is a slope important on a horizontal run in the attic?

Thanks for any info,

Dave G
Cedar Rapids IA
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Efficiency and insulation in ducting my dryer
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »

Thanks Dave for the good questions. 
The 350 Dryerbox does reduce the opening about 12%, so in my opinion, it does have a negative impact on efficiency.  The best method may have to do with where in the panel profile the exhaust penetrates.  It if was mid panel, no lap, then you may get by with no J-stop, if not, it would be helpful to J-stop around it with proper sub-flashing.  The best material to use to wrap dryer duct is either 4 or 6 inch flexible AC ducting.  There is very little chatter in our industry about a slope in a horizontal run.   If you are going to insulate the exposed ducting, then your chances of puddles of condensation is minimal if any.  Hope this helps.  Good luck. 
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696