Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Old (not used) dryer vent pipe question  (Read 2749 times)

DEWFPO

• View Profile
Old (not used) dryer vent pipe question
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »

I have found an exterior vent for an old dryer vent pipe that is no longer being used.  I would like to insulate the interior of that pipe and remove the exterior flapper vent and permanently seal the opening at the outside of the house.   This is in an exterior wall.  The ducting is 4 inch metal with a 90 degree elbow going from horizontal to down, then ~8-9' of straight pipe (also assuming metal but not verified), then another 90 degree elbow going from vertical to horizontal where the old laundry room/dryer used to be located in the basement. 

I would like to put insulation in that ducting and was thinking of dropping down small pieces of rock wool or something that mice won't use for nesting. Or….. trying to drop down expanding spray foam but I am afraid the goop will hit the sides of the pipe on the way down and stick to side and never really fill the bottom of the ducting.  I want the bottom sealed off as it appears to be a pathway for rodents and is now terminated behind a tub so access is impossible.  I doubt whoever did the renovation ever capped off the bottom of the ducting.

Any advice is appreciated.

DEWFPO

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Old (not used) dryer vent pipe question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »

Sounds like you are on track with your initial plans; expanding foam, rock wool, insulation.... I cannot think of anything else to add or suggest. 
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

DEWFPO

• View Profile
Re: Old (not used) dryer vent pipe question
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »

Thanks.

DEWFPO