Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: venting stacked washer/dryer  (Read 11555 times)

Oregontinkerer

• View Profile
venting stacked washer/dryer
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

I am adding a new Kenmore/LG Elite electric dryer by stacking it on top of an existing Elite washer.  The instructions for the dryer vent recommend either semi-rigid or rigid metal pipe, show one side view image of a floor mounted dryer with an elbow at the dryer outlet, an elbow at the wall vent port above the top of the dryer and a straight pipe between the elbows.  It then says if the dryer is stacked, refer to the instructions in the stacking kit, which I have been unable to find online.  The instructions finally say the vent piping is entirely the purchasers problem and are not related to the manufactured product.  I expect this is typical of the instructions provided by most vendors.  Your website is a breath of fresh air.

It is obvious that the stacked unit must be pulled out of the closet for service or even to turn off the water or disconnect the power.  The manufacturer clearly recognizes that requirement and provides 6 ft power cords for both appliances and a 6 ft drain for the washer, with provision for stowing the excess hose on the back of the washer when not needed.  No comment or provision is made related to the same requirement for the vent line.  There is clearly a gap in the industry's provision for stacked units and all the local dealers and installers I have talked to have no suggestions other than to put it in a new house designed for stacked units.  Rigid and semi-rigid vent piping does not seem likely to accommodate the necessary movement of the unit before the access opening is wide enough  to enter the closet an disconnect the vent line. 

The unique problem with my installation is that the washer is in a closet 47 in. wide, 35 in. wide door, 34 in. deep, and 80 in. ht.  The washer/dryer units are 27 wide, and 31 deep.  So I need to use one of your Dryerboxes for depth clearance.  The wall interior is 7 1/2 in. deep so I can use the 425 or 500 box but I don't understand the criteria for choosing between them. 

This link  to your stackable installation page has recommended installation positions for several brand dryers, but not for Kenmore/LG Elite.  Can you recommend the position of the Dryerbox relative to the center line of the dryer outlet?

A key question is whether an 8 ft length of your Dryerflex hose would accommodate movement of the unit at least 4 ft, to permit access to disconnect the hose?  The hose description does not indicate how much dynamic length change it will provide or whether the hose will retract and stay within the Dryerbox.  If what I have outlined would not work, what would you suggest? 

I plan to vent directly up to a 2/12 pitched roof covered with rolled roofing, and install a DJK466 by cutting the rolled roofing across the drip line about midway down the jack dimension, than nail and seal the roofing and jack with mastic.  Do you have any different recommendations?

Thanks for you assistance.  I plan to order the parts Thursday morning for 2nd day delivery so I can complete the installation by Sep 5.

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: venting stacked washer/dryer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »

You are on the right track and ask good questions. 

• Flex: I am a fan of the DryerFlex product, and would suggest getting 8 feet and likely cutting it to about 6 feet or less so there is minimal if any lag or sag.  Cut just enough to make the connection.
    Dryerbox: if there is drywall on the wall now, and you desire to install without doing any drywall work, then a retrofit box 500.  If no dry wall yet, then the 425 dryerbox is preferred. 
    Height to mount: measure the height of the washer, say 38", then measure the distance from the bottom of dryer to the low side of the exhaust port, say 2".  So, 40" would be the height of the beginning of the taper in the dryerbox. 
    Roof install: have at least two tubes of roofing bull or equal to properly seal around the install.  One tube should be enough, but having an extra is worth it in case. 
    Install: keep in mind you can or could be able to get on a step ladder and assist with the proper recoiling of the flex hose, using something like a broom handle.  As you move the dryer back, assist in the recoiling by reaching over the top of the dryer, assuming the door is not in your way. 

Lots of helpful pictures at the bottom of this page:
http://www.dryerbox.com/photo_gallery.htm

Hope this helps.  Thanks for coming to the forum. 
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696