Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Inverting Model 4D  (Read 2028 times)

rwwoods

• View Profile
Inverting Model 4D
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »

I have an existing installation that has 6 inch deep metal studs and a vent pipe to the roof. Aligning a model 500 box to the dryer's vent location is a problem. The box's vent opening would be blocked by a gas pipe box. Moving the dryer box to the right to clear the obstruction would offset the box opening too far right from the dryer's vent.

It appears that I have three options. 1) Cover the existing hole and cut a new hole on the top at the right. However, due to the gas pipe obstruction and dryer location, the exact placement of the box leaves little tolerance, so I hope there is a better solution. 2) Cover the existing hole and cut one in the side and use an elbow. 3) Use an inverted model 4D box. The box is much better aligned with the wall vent and the dryer vent. However the left metal stud needs to be relocated to the left to allow the box to fit between studs. Its not clear to me if a horizontal frame is required to support the box at the top and/or bottom. Obviously, this option requires more effort.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: Inverting Model 4D
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »

All our new construction boxes are available with NO HOLE for unusual situations, via special order, but not the retrofit verstions (powder coated ones that go on over the drywall). 

Make sure you have studied the 16 different DIY scenarios at the bottom of this link: http://www.dryerbox.com/photo_gallery.htm

all dryerbox's are so rigid they really only need connection to the bottom plate and one stud.  Retro's only need attachment to the bottom plate (pipe coming through port secures it tight to drywall). 

Reply or call with further comments or ideas.  Thanks for asking.  Rick
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696