Dryer Venting Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: 1 hour fire rating help needed  (Read 106 times)

Jjsolon

• View Profile
1 hour fire rating help needed
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

So I'm alittle confused on whats needed for my setup. Do I need the 1 hour fire rating? Requirement/code is 2012 IRC. I wanting to install the Db-350 and im going to be installing the dryer jack. So the room on the other side of the wall that my dryerbox will be installed on is a front living room. Framing is 2×4 wall and looks to be 1/2" drywall. Any help would be great.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:59:43 AM by Jjsolon »

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dryerbox.com
Re: 1 hour fire rating help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

A one hour fire rating is generally required for multifamily housing where there is a shared wall dividing two separate residences.  Some garage to living area walls also can require the wall be protected.  These walls use a special 5/8" Type X drywall. 

In your initial question, it sounds like you are in a single family home. 

Let me know if the room on the other side of the laundry room is another persons living area.  Hope this helps. thanks.
Rick Harpenau
In-O-Vate Technologies, Inc
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

Jjsolon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 04:19:51 AM »

Thank you for getting back to me. To answer your question the other room is my front living room and im in a signal family home. Also after looking at my setup, I decided to use my side vent option on my dryer and i framed out the wall with 2×6's. I purchased the Db480, dryerjack,DT4 dryertrap and two of the dryer-ell 45's. The new 2×6 wall where the box will be mounted is backed up to a staircase hallway going in to my basment.Also I will be venting up and through the roof. Do you think the dryertrap will create any issues with the flow of air?Thank you for your help.
A one hour fire rating is generally required for multifamily housing where there is a shared wall dividing two separate residences.  Some garage to living area walls also can require the wall be protected.  These walls use a special 5/8" Type X drywall. 

In your initial question, it sounds like you are in a single family home. 

Let me know if the room on the other side of the laundry room is another persons living area.  Hope this helps. thanks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:32:29 AM by Jjsolon »

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »

I am not a fan of a inline screened filter like the DryerTrap.  They were invented to keep lint from building on the booster fan blades, but users started thinking it would minimize the lint accumulation on the roofs.  There are circumstances where a trap is worthy, but, there is significant restriction in air flow and another task to remember to take care of.  I am fond of a conduit system that is super clean, with minimal direction changes and a termination hood that provide no to minimal back pressure.  Hope this helps. 
Rick Harpenau
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696

Jjsolon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »

Thank you for the info. I'm going to return the dryertrap. Whats your opinion on my setup with the dryerbox and 2×6 walls. I'm thinking a R-19 insulation should be fine and no need to do the 1 hour fire rating. Does that seem correct?

rickharp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »

absolutely... no need for extra protection due to a singe family home.  Glad I could help.
Rick Harpenau
Jupiter, FL  33477
561-743-8696